Early 1970's Woking

WOKING'S HISTORY & HERITAGE

(Featuring the Articles and Archive of Iain Wakeford)

PREVIOUSLY FEATURED ON THE heritagewalks.org WEBSITE,

WHERE CAN STILL BE FOUND DETAILS OF ALL HERITAGE WALKS, TALKS, EXHIBITIONS & PUBLICATIONS.


Early 1970's Woking

1969-70 - Byfleet's Shops not so Bright - witha a decline in passing trade being blamed by some traders for thier losses, the local Chamber of Trade prompt a radical plan to give the village a facelift, whilst Woking Council help by adopting the new car park outside the shops at 'Byfleet Green'. Also a look at the opening of the new £20,000 library in the village in July 1969.


1969-70 - The Cardinal Public House, Guildford Road (originally the Railway Hotel and now the Sovereigns) - presumably renamed to help attract more fans of Woking Football Club, whose kit is 'Cardinal Red' in commemoration of Cardinal Wolsey who is said to have recieved the letter from the Pope naming him a cardinal, whilst he was visiting Henry VIII at Woking Palace.


1969-70 - Oakfield Road Car Park - how a street bedevilled by parking in the 1960's became the site of Woking's first multi-storey car park - work on which began in 1970.


1969-70 - Woking Pool Delays - the rising cost of providing an indoor pool (first muted in the 1920's), with suggestions in the late 1960's that possibly two indoor pools could be built - the main one in the new town centre development, with a cheaper pool erected before in either Goldsworth Road, Guildford Road or Woking Park.

All the contents of this website are copyrighted and should not be reproduced in any form for commercial purposes without prior agreement. Anybody wishing to copy material for private and research study purposes may do so.      © Iain Wakeford, 2018.